My Journey to Find God

by Intan Farhana

This is a story about the greatest lesson that I treasure the most after 22 years of life.

Since I was a kid, my parents always taught me the importance of helping people in any way that you can. Help in this case, can be very wide, whether it's in the form of giving money or as simple as hearing your friends out when they have a problem.

Since I was in school, alhamdulillah I was gifted with a great mind and a good memory. Back in high school, I was able to score well in exams without needing to work as hard as my other friends. With this ability, I tried to help my friends out with any subjects they were struggling with. And for some reason, the more time I spent helping others, the easier it gets for me to understand new subjects. Isn't it odd? You're supposed to understand things better when you invest more time on your own studies. But instead, I kept having the opposite effect. The more time I invest in people, good things keep coming in my way in the most unexpected ways.

The same thing happened even when I went to college. Alhamdulillah Allah has always made examinations easy for me. Alhamdulillah I kept getting awards for my achievements which sometimes, I'll be honest, I felt as if it wasn't supposed to be mine at all. There's a lot more people out there who worked hard and deserve these awards more than I do.

So I ask myself again, out of all people, why did Allah choose me?

When I came to London, I got involved actively with the islamic society here. Sometimes I would help organise events, design posters with good reminders, hoping all these acts would be able to bring people closer to God in any way. And of course there would be times where I would end up spending more of my time planning these events when I should probably be studying like other people. Of course, as a human being, there were times when I felt overwhelmed with society work and I felt there's too much to catch up with studying. And when this happen, I would always call my mom to ask for some motivation. She would always say the same thing :

"Takpa. Masa yang kita spend tolong agama Allah tu, insyaAllah nanti Allah akan ganti. Walaupun kita tak banyak masa macam orang lain, insyaAllah masa tu berkat"

This advice was the main reason that kept me going. So then, when it was time for my final exams, I used the limited time that I had to study. I tried cramping everything in the amount of time that I had with the goal of just passing, instead of aiming for the top. When the result came out, I was told that I was awarded the Dean's List for my outstanding achievement.

Hearing this got me to tears, as only Allah knows how much I least expected this to happen to me. This has made me realise that all these while, it was never based on my own effort. It was Allah's help all the way. He made me into what I am today.

Since we were kids, people kept saying Allah has the power to make anything possible. And I always hear this happen in the past, as in how Allah has made it possible for Musa A.S to split the sea and how Allah made the Muslim won the battle of Badar when they were outnumbered. But when this actually happened to me, for the first time ever, I actually felt that He was close to me.

So now I realised how important it is to seek Allah's blessing in whatever you do. I am not here to motivate you to stop studying and do charity. This is about intention. Learn to be a giver for the sake of Allah. Whatever skills Allah has given you, think of how you can contribute back to the society.

Remember that everything belongs to Allah.

Your money, your time, your intelligence, your skill, everything comes from Allah. If you're ever in a position where you're capable of helping people, help them in any way that you possibly can. Why? Because I once experienced feeling Allah's presence in the things that I do. And it all started from being a giver. InsyaAllah if you help lift other people's burden, for the sake of Allah, good things will come to you in the least expected ways.

Believe Him, Trust Him and watch how He can change your life.


P/s: This article has been shared in the author's FB account

Comments

Popular Posts